Lymph Drainage Therapy is a gentle hands-on technique used to detect the rhythm, direction, depth and quality of the lymph flow throughout the body. The therapist, using slow, gentle pressure with soft pumping (wave-like) movements, encourages the lymph to flow in the direction of the lymph nodes where the lymph fluid is filtered and then returned to the blood.
Stress, fatigue, lack of physical activity, infection and aging are some of the factors that can cause the lymph circulation to stagnate. When this occurs, fluids, proteins, cells and toxins accumulate and cellular functioning is compromised.
- Helps fluid drain from cells
- Improves the production and distribution of antibodies & lymphocytes thereby boosting the immune system
- Stimulates the lymphatic system’s filtering process which helps remove toxins & bacteria from the body.
- LDT also works on the autonomic nervous system:
- Helps calm & slow the sympathetic nervous system (which promotes activity)
- Stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system (which promotes relaxation)
- This results in RELAXATION & STRESS REDUCTION
CONTRAINDICATIONS FOR LYMPH DRAINAGE THERAPY
Those experiencing any of the following should not receive Lymph Drainage Therapy:
- Acute Infections/ Fever
- Serious Circulatory Problems
- Major Cardiac Problems
- Acute Anuresis (Absence of Urination)
- Active Cancer